Saturday, February 25, 2006

Bitey Update: Saturday February 25th

Bitey is still boarding at the local vet. I took him there Thursday morning when his lethargy and misery at home became more than I could bear. It turned out his bladder was rock hard and full of pee. He has spent the last three days there having his bladder "expressed." This is when the vet squeezes Bitey in a way that make the pee shoot out of him like a water gun. The cat doesn't like it, but it's amazing to watch (and better than a catheter!) The vet can actually aim the stream of urine into a garbage can.

Bitey also got a steroid shot, which was the only thing that helped him feel better last time. He still can't walk on his hind legs, but he is way more alert and doesn't howl when you pick him up. Of all the sick cats and dogs in the vet's ICU, Bitey's eyes are the most alert. On second thought, he may be tied with the young "leopard twins." These two tawny siblings have beautiful black spots, and each is wearing a goofy white collar, which only accentuates the ill intent in their eyes.

Consistent with all the hospitals he's stayed at these last two weeks, the staff loves him. I don't just make this up. From the local clinic to the super fancy West LA surgical center, doctors, nurses, and lab techs alike tell me how much they adore my Bitey. "He's so friendly, so loving," they say. "At first I was afraid because of his name, but he's never bit me once!"

It makes me feel a little better when I hear that, because they understand why I would put so much money into these ridiculously pricey tests. It also helps to know that while he is locked up in a metal cage, miles from home, he is surrounded by people who like him. I know I always try harder for the people I like.

No comments: